hugo blog rewrite

on benharri's blog

#blog

i finally got sick of some outstanding bashblog bugs and decided to rewrite my blog with hugo

why fix something that ain't broken?

there are several major bugs in bashblog that i haven't had the time or interest to fix. luckily, i have my blog source in a git repo, so the messed-up files are relatively easy to fix up.

my theory is that the cognitive load of dealing with those bugs has been preventing me from writing any new posts... (among other current events).

plus i guess i just needed a project!

the hard part

it was a bit of a struggle to get my blogposts converted over to a proper format.

bashblog maintains the tags with a plaintext link line at the bottom of the file and keeps track of modify dates on the filesystem using date -r and touch -t to keep them up to date.

this makes it hard to work with the blog in any place other than where it's already deployed live. additionally, parsing the tags to another format was a bit of a headache...

i ended up writing a little script to pull the timestamp from bashblog's generated html since i no longer had the original file metadata.

time to write more

i'm always tempted to play with the publishing process instead of actually writing.

we'll see how well i can avoid the temptation now!